By Brian | August 20, 2009 | Share on Facebook
Well, it’s “Back to School” time again, which means it’s time for Beloit College to publish it’s annual mindset list, reflecting the perspective of the incoming freshman class (the Class of 2013).
For some reason, this year’s list wasn’t as amazing to me as it has been in past years, but there were a few items that I found worthy of note:
Most students entering college for the first time this fall were born in 1991. For these students…
6. Salsa has always outsold ketchup.
7. Earvin “Magic” Johnson has always been HIV-positive.
23. The European Union has always existed.
34. They have always been able to read books on an electronic screen.
35. Women have always outnumbered men in college.
44. There have always been flat screen televisions.
50. Everyone has always known what the evening news was before the Evening News came on.
51. Britney Spears has always been heard on classic rock stations.
53. Someone has always been asking: “Was Iraq worth a war?”
And, on a personal note, I’d like to add one of my own this year:
76. I have always been a college graduate.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, those damn kids are playing on my lawn again and I’ve got to go clear them off…